Friday, July 11, 2014

Lots to see in the Garden

I'm off to a new design job in a short while and thought it would be great to catch up.  

Kevin and I took a couple trips to the Royal Botanical Gardens.  I was horrified to see how ghastly the entrance to the rose gardens looked.  I know the staff have been hustling over at the Laking Gardens, but this is just so sad - look at these weeds!  Wonder if we might start a Members Weeding Day?


There was a bit of construction equipment around the Kippax wildflower garden.  Hopefully, it's all gone by now.  The beginnings of the art installations were found here and there:


Once inside the rose garden, there were some very pretty roses to see:



And over on the Cherry Hill Trail - we were sung through by the frogs:


My garden is looking really full.  The Persicaria polymorpha in the background is having its best year ever.  The Thermopsis is a little smaller though, perhaps having to grow through the elbows of the Pp.  And, the dreaded Japanese Beetles seem to have taken a real hit this winter (HOOOORAAAAAY).  Can't remember a summer where I haven't had to bring out the Japanese Beetle Bucket of Death.  This may be the first in 10!


An old perennial in my garden - Lysimachia 'Alexander'.  Found a small bit of it suffering in an overcrowded bed last year.  So much happier now.


Wish it were mine, but alas no.  From a lovely garden down by the lake.


On Canada Day July 1st, Kevin and I packed a picnic and headed back to the RBG to the newly polished Laking Garden.  Just wonderful and absolutely empty.


It was almost as if we had our own acreage.


Terrific.


It was just a perfect day.


Reading this post back to check for goofs and realize it's a real whiplash post - we're home again now.  This bed is about 70 feet long or so.  Can't believe it had taken me until July to finally get in and do the edging.  Cut out quite a bit of dead on the bushes.  And am seriously considering changing quite a bit.  Had a beautiful variegated Cornus alternafolia that was to anchor this bed.  It is no higher than my knee after five years.  I've had words with it.  We'll see if it picks up its socks.  You can see it valiantly waving its little leaves beside the lime-coloured Hosta.


Really dry shade in this section.  Should I win the lotto, I'll be adding irrigation.  Until then the plants just have to suffer.  Lost 3 Autumn Ferns (Dryopteris erythrosora).  Hardy perhaps, just not in my garden.


So many of the newer varieties of Hosta handle a bit of sun without blushing.  Will have to find some deep shade on the other side of the house for this sun-crisped plant.


Cute plant alert:  Ecomis 'Aloha Leia' from Garden Import.


So many of the ornamental grasses were killed this year.  Fortunately most of my Carex made it - which is a good thing given the number I've got planted.  (C. 'Ice Dance' on the left putting on its summer growth.)


Hmmmmmm, do you see what I see:


A client of mine lines to squish them when they're busy making more beetles - exclaiming, "Forever together!"

Such a lovely plant:  Hydrangea 'Invincibelle Spirit'.  The buds go through a very queer colour change before they bloom, but once they start to open, everyone stops to check it out.


And the weather continues to be weird.  Such a strange time of year for fog.



And a day later....



Can't remember a year when the Hosta looked so good.


The orthodontist always makes a point of having a good-looking garden.


Teeth straightening buys a lot of pretty baskets - even in the parking lot.


My favourite Hemerocallis  - a red spider from the RBG sale.


Containers for mansions in case you ever need to put one together:


Symphyandra hoffmanii - highly recommended for dry shade, or sun, or just about anywhere.


Monarda 'Grand Mum' is blooming - hard hit from the cold winter - but seems to be coming back better than some of the taller varieties.


And rather than point out how others need to weed, perhaps I might get some of my own weeding done.  The spot where the hemlock came down.  (All neat and tidy again at 3:30 p.m. today!)



 Odd name but very pretty Coreopsis 'Permathread(TM) Red Satin from Loblaw.



 One more of my lily:


And one of the many creatures that have kept me company in the garden over the past few weeks:


Aren't their wings absolutely magical?

No comments: